The AHA(WA), in conjunction with Don Julio Tequila, is proud to present the inaugural WA’s Best Cocktail Competition.
This competition will recognise the venue that creates WA’s ultimate cocktail.
2023 WINNER REVEALED!
In a thrilling display of mixology mastery, the cocktail competition reached its apex as five contestants battled for the coveted title. Each competitor showcased their unique flair and creativity, but it was the exceptional talent of Robin De Mesquita Mollentze that truly stood out. With an artful balance of precision and innovation, this winner crafted a concoction that left the judges in awe. A symphony of flavors and combination of ingredients that pushed the boundaries of traditional mixology. With a touch of showmanship and an unwavering passion for the craft, this cocktail maestro captivated the room and claimed the ultimate prize.
Robin De Mesquita Mollentze – TWR-Crown Towers Perth – La Bamba
The team at TWR-Crown Towers Perth will receive a corporate box at Cirque du Soleil for up to 12 guests inclusive of premium beverages and food courtesy of RAC Arena. This prize is valued at $10,000.
- Bar Lafayette – Breakfast In Milan
- Bremer Bay Resort – BremEpresso Martini
- Cape Arid Rooms – Starflower
- Chakra Restaurant – Karma
- Clarences Company Store – Lady Lilac
- James Street Bar and Kitchen – Pan-Ña Colada
- Foxtrot Unicorn – Fingerlime Breakfast Martini
- Hadiqa – Hadiqa’s Turkish Delight Martini
- Har Bar Dunsborough – Drop of Nelson’s blood
- Il Lido – Vesper Mare-Tee-Me
- Island Market – The Buckler
- Lakers Tavern – Tokyo Blossom
- Leapfrogs – Leapfrogs Tommy’s Margarita
- Lobby Lounge, Crown – The Mundorita
- Long Chim – Wow Mango
- Lucky Chan’s Laundry & Noodlebar – Forbidden City
- Market Grounds – Pineapple Paloma
- Mechanics Institute – Willy Nilly Lilly Pilly
- Mount Helena Tavern – French Kiss
- Nobu Perth – Spicy Summer
- Northbird Wine Bar – Strawberry Lowgroni
- Odyssea Beach Cafe – Odyssea Margarita
- Petition Beer Corner – Cold Break kid
- Petition Kitchen – Beets by Mary
- QT Perth – E=Margarita2 (squared)
- Queens Tavern – Caloroso
- Republic of Fremantle – Gin a Colada
- Rhum Burgundy – Cup of Concrete
- St Brigid Bar – Long Mac Topped Up
- Terrarium Perth – Mango Crusta
- The Beaufort – Paris Playboy
- The Bull and Bush Tavern – Old Pepper
- The Carlisle Hotel & Distillery – The Carlisle Dullop
- The Claremont Hotel – Karri wood Negroni
- The Guildford Hotel – White Chocolate Espresso Martini
- The Rechabite – Jackrabbit
- The Sandbar Scarborough Beach – All The Little Things
- The Shorehouse – Chile Empress
- TWR – Crown – La Bamba
- UWA Tavern – Watermelon Warhead
- Varnish on King – Varnish on King’s iconic Whiskey Sour
- Wolf Lane – Artists Muse
Voting Opens: 15 May 2023
Voting Closes: 9 June 2023
Mix-off: 27 June 2023, AHA Hospitality Expo @ Crown Perth
- One cocktail per venue can be submitted.
- For the purpose of the competition, a cocktail is defined as a mixed drink incorporating one of the following bases mixed with other ingredients such as juices, flavoured syrups, tonic water, shrubs, bitters, etc.
- The cocktail can contain:
- Any single spirit
- Any combination of spirits
- a Non-Alcoholic Spirit Equivalent
- A maximum of the equivalent of two standard drinks per serve.
- The cocktail can contain:
- The cocktail must be available and its composition remain the same throughout the competition period.
- Any marketing by the participating venues must not depict or encourage irresponsible service or consumption of alcohol or contravene any WA liquor laws or guidelines. This includes ensuring the naming conventions of any cocktail remain appropriate.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Develop a winning cocktail and nominate for free online.
- Nominations must include the recipe, ingredients, method, price, picture and a brief description that explains the inspiration behind your cocktail, including any connection between the cocktail’s ingredients and the venue or the state.
- Once nominated, the cocktail will be promoted via each venue (social media platforms, in-venue), while the competition will be publicly promoted by the AHA and Diageo.
- Cocktail finalists will be determined using a combination of public votes and mystery judge visits, which will determine five finalists from across WA.
- Finalists will then be invited to compete in a live mix-off at the 2023 AHA Hospitality Expo on Tuesday 27 June 2023, recreating their cocktail on stage and explaining the story behind each.
The five finalists will be judged using the following criteria:
- Taste (30 points) – Taste, appeal, balance of flavour and aroma, harmony between the ingredients, mouthfeel, and finish.
- Aesthetic (20 points) – How the cocktail presents visually.
- Authenticity/Creativity (20 points) – Considering the ingredients, garnish, ice or glassware.
- Narrative (15 points) – The story behind the cocktail or a connection to the venue or to the state.
- Promotion/Price (15 points) – How the cocktail was promoted and price point.
Total = 100 Points